Friday, October 2, 2009

Keepin it Real!

I would like to share a poem that I wrote and published three years ago. I do not consider myself a poet, however these words jumped into my heart one night as I drove home after witnessing a young boy--couldn't have been older then ten or eleven years old--selling drugs on a corner.

Keepin it real as they say
Ask a young brotha in a casket as he lay
Peddlin dope for dough making a sista a hoe
Crack vial streets where children play
Drive by shootin every other day
Sexual desire desire lead young folk astray
Nine months later another youngin on the way
Being led to believe self-destruction is okay
Education put off one more day
Acting out life as if its a play
Rome wasn't built in just one day
Parents unite and keep the devil at bay
Do away with the myths that the TV say
Teach the youth to stay strong in spirit so they don't stray
That's keepin it real as they say

It's been said that it takes a village to raise a child. I would like to add, "It takes someone to care." Let's give our children a future. Don't write off our youth. Join the village.

No comments: