Monday, June 20, 2011

It all starts with belief!

The response to my latest literary endeavor has been--in a word--awesome! 5 Simple Steps To Choosing Your Path has been well received by so many people that have followed my writing career from day one with the release of my debut best selling novel, Choices. I was honored by the attendance and love shown to me by all that attended the book signing in Philadelphia. People coming together to support a new writer such as me is truly the key to any success I'm currently experiencing.

When I first considered self-publishing, I feared that I wouldn't be taken seriously as an author. A big part of me thought that people would view me as less talented as a writer and incapable of attracting interest from a big name publishing house. Then common sense kicked in and I conducted some research that revealed some surprising revelations. Self-publishing wasn't new and for many years and for many reasons writers have chosen to self-publish their works. So I was not alone. Way before little ole me, great storytellers such as James Joyce, John Grisham, Zane Grey, Mark Twain and the list goes on and on, have all used self-publishing as a way of getting their work into print. And believe you me--it certainly wasn't because they lacked talent. Now mind you, I'm not saying I'm in their class as a writer, however it doesn't take Sara Lee to bake a pie. I was...correction...I am a writer. One that like the esteemed above mentioned chose to self-publish.

Initially when someone asked my why I took the path taken, I would attempt to come up with an answer that sounded good. Then I decided--after stumbling over my words repeatedly--to simply tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I chose to do so because I believed in myself and no amount of rejection letters or unopened and returned manuscripts would change that powerful fact.

Believing in oneself has taken many an unknown to the tops of the world. Ever heard of Bernard Schwartz or Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta? Both of them turned belief in themselves along with talent, sheer determination and a strong desire to succeed into incredible careers. By the way, I'm referring to Tony Curtis the actor and the mega-star Lady Gaga.

I might not ever write or publish a book that makes the New York Times bestsellers list. So what? Would not doing so make me less of a writer? Absolutely not--hundreds of writers--great ones, have never made the list. Tony Curtis never won an Oscar, but his film work is greatly revered by those in the movie industry and his fans around the globe. Would it shock you to know that Diana Ross never won a Grammy despite being the lead singer for the ultra-successful singing group, the Supremes as well as selling well over 100 million records?

Success isn't measured by a cup, but by those that keep getting up. I pray that with you reading these words, you will determine in your heart and mind to unleash the greatness that lies within. Don't allow fear, worry, or doubt to prevent you from joining the ranks that have blazed the trail before you. The world can never have enough Mark Twain's, Tony Curtis', or even Lady Gaga's.

Believe in your dream, believe in yourself. Remember where God has placed a vision there will be provision. You too are not alone.

No comments: